Monday, February 8, 2010

"Food Rules"

I recently read Michael Pollan's book "Food Rules" after watching him on Oprah.  Oprah also showed clips from the documentary "Food, Inc." that day which was quite eye-opening.  I guess you could say that maybe my head is coming out of the sand.  It is amazing to think of all the crap that I have put into my body over the years. But boy, some of that crap sure is yummy!


Anyway, here are Pollan's three rules.


1.  Eat Food


2.  Not too much


3.  Mostly plants


It doesn't get much more"d'oh" than that.


I titled this blog "Eat Food" since that is what I am going to do.  I am changing my eating habits so that I actually eat food, as opposed to chemicals.  That will also mean I have to do some more cooking.  Pollan says to eat only things your grandmother would recognize and that a third grader could pronounce.  Even the Wheatables (they have wheat - they have to be healthy, right?) on my counter contain TBHQ, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate, sodium sulfite, soy lecithin, and high fructose corn syrup.  High fructose corn syrup isn't a food, either.  Sigh.  So, I guess I need to avoid that, as well as items that have sugar in one of the top three ingredients and things that have more than five ingredients.  He also says to avoid artificial sweeteners.  Because they aren't food.  However, that rule will have to be one I try to lean into a bit, but I just can't give up my diet coke or my splenda decaf iced tea just yet.  And one of his rules that really makes sense to me, is to shop the edges of the grocery store rather than the middle, for that is where much of the processed crap lives.

Against my better judgement, I am going to start posting what I ate every day.  Perhaps that will make me think twice about whether I want to put something in my mouth or not.

So, here goes:
2/8/10
3/4 cup raisin bran crunch, 1/3 cup skim milk, 1 tsp flax seed
about 15 chunks of raw veggies with blue cheese dressing
1 pretzel rod
1 cookie "straw"
one medium bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup with 8 saltine crackers
2 cups grape tomatoes
2 oz mahi mahi
3/4 cup broccoli
1 potato skin with cheese, bacon and sour cream
12 pretzel "nibs"

1 comment:

  1. yeah for being brave!
    and yes, a lot more cooking!
    one of my friends here really never buys a processed thing - maybe granola bars, but that's it. And really, this is how I grew up. nothing that wasn't homemade. it really is yummy!
    I buy a giant tub of spinach leaves every week. it's a one lb container, but it is huge! great to sautee some garlic and onion, then throw in huge fistfulls of spinach and lightly sautee. Add that to some multigrain pasta and a tsp or so of freshly shaved parmesan - delicious lunch!

    ReplyDelete